Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Postmates: Food & Merchant Delivery Service App and Tips to New Drivers

Postmates is a delivery service which provides delivery from places such as Restaurants, Fast Food, Grocery Stores, and Retailers such as Wal-Mart. It's couriers are called "Postmates" who can log on at any time to queue in for receiving a pick up order. 

The service is primary focused on food.


Requirements: 
  • At least 1 year of drivering experience
  • Owning a Car, Bike, or Motorcycle
  • Smart Phone (Android / Ios)
  • Bank Account for Deposits
  • Mileage Book
  • Food Bag(s)

What do I need?
Primarily, you'll need a form a reliable transportation that isn't probably on death's door, but also has a enough miles on it that you really aren't concerned about deprecation of your car's value.



Where do I start?
To start the  application process, go to: https://fleet.postmates.com/

From there, if your area has the service, you should be able to apply for an orientation day, where you will learn the process of running the Fleet App and where you can ask questions and get supplies, which you'll have to ask about. You'll also receive the Postmates card for paying for transactions.

Once you go for an orientation, you'll go through a background check process which should take 3-5 days on norm. Once that finalizes, you should be able to log on to the app or on to the courier website and submit your banking info for deposits: https://postmates.com/courier/login?next=/courier



The Pay
Pay is based on the distance from picking up food (or merchandise) and to deliver said items to the customer. You also get paid per minute while waiting (or shopping) at the pickup location after a certain amount of time. Tips come in either automatically or when the customer decides to look back on the app to rate the delivery and provide said tip. Keep in mind, some folk don't tip or don't believe in tipping.

Depending on the area you deliver in, base pay for a pick up / delivery in a 2-3 mile drive is around $4.10 - $4.80 from what I've personally seen. The further the destination is from the pick up location, the more you'll receive.

There will be times when there are not enough drivers for orders in the system and that is when a "surge" will go into effect and pay rate will increase depending on the number. Keep in mind, there will always be a Surge of 1.5 during 12am to around 7am.

You can get paid for canceled orders, however you need to be at the location already and checked in (via your gps coordinates) for a few mins for it to be giving to you.


Finalized Deposit + "Surge Multiplier" - Postmates
Finalized Deposit + "Surge Multiplier"
Pending Deposit with Pending Tip - Postmates
Pending Deposit with Pending Tip

Green text means the pay from that day's deliveries is in the process of being deposited into your bank account. Its still possible to receive a pending tip from a day that was already deposited.

Grey text means its still pending and usually takes about 3-4 days to begin the deposit process.

When a deposit does begin, $0.15 is subtracted from the total of a days work. This amount does not change wither the deposit amount is from a $1 tip (from a pending tip) or from a $200 delivery work day. The $0.15 is the charge for depositing the money to your bank account. Ideally, as a 1099 IC, you should be able to apply this to your expenses.


Keep It Cold / Hot! 
You might be doing this as a side thing or for a little extra money, but in the long run, you'll need food bags to maintain the freshness of your food pick ups and the "Professional" look when you deliver. Worst thing to see is hot food chilling on a passenger seat in an air conditioned car. It really looks weird to a customer.

You might want to ask when you have you're orientation about supplies / bags. Though, you'll most likely have to buy bags out of pocket as they might want to charge you.

If you're stuck on cash, investing in a "Hot / Cold" bag from the local grocery store will start you in the right direction until you have some cash flowing in for a more "professional bag".

Lastly, make sure your bags are kept clean! Germs and such can in non-clean bags can create very unsafe and unhealthy delivering. You never know who is allergic to what or has a weak immune system. Just because you don't have a food handlers certificate, doesn't mean you shouldn't act like you have one.


Contact your Customer
There will be times when there will be questions needing to be answered. Such as a request for a coffee drink, but it comes in Hot or Iced variants and the customer didn't state when they wanted exactly.

Other times are to inform the customer, when it comes to food, about any delays with a restaurant. Sometimes an example text stating works wonders:

"This is your Postmate Driver Brian. Just got to the restaurant and I just found out its going to be an extra 15-20mins before I'll be able to take the food from them. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you need anything else from here, let me know."

Not letting your customer know why you've been at the pick up location for 30 + mins helps resolve any negativity towards you, but it might help get that tip.


Drive Safe! Invest in a Car Mount and Phone Charger
iRing with Hook
This should be a no-brainer. Driving to locations you're not familiar with can be challenging, even worse if you're trying to do it while juggling with a steering wheel and a phone in hands. It is so much safer to have a mount, in general, then looking down at your phone to figure where you're going. Plus you could write it off too!

There are many brands of phone mounts on the market with different ways to use them, but personally, I use the attachable mount called the iRing. Bought it from Frys Electronics (which can be also found on their website too). A hook with adhesive on it can be applied to your car's dashboard and the ring (also with adhesive) applies to your phone or phone case.

Though there are some phone cases that have odd designs on them that might prevent the adhesive to stick, such as my phone case. In that case, I just used gorilla glue and its permanently attached to my case (unless I want to chisel it off... )

Aukey 4 Port Car Charger with Quick Charge 3.0

However, this iRing has made leaving and getting ready to head out to my next destination easy and simple without the headache of dealing with spring loaded phone holder. Plus, it keeps the phone jack clear so I can keep it charged with my car charger. 

Speaking of car chargers, I use the Aukey 4 Port Car Charger with Quick Charge 3.0: http://a.co/hLMFCn8 


I primarily use it for just my phone, but It has become beyond valuable on trips or when I have people in my car such as friends or when I've done Uber / Lyft. Even better, I can charge multiple electronics at once very well with it on said long trips; tablets, tablet laptops, phones, and portable batteries.


You name it. Its worked great and hasn't failed me since getting it in 2016 (its now Mid-2018 with this edit)  


KEEP TRACK OF YOUR MILEAGE!
The best thing you can do for yourself is keep track of your mileage. Keeping track of your mileage should be simple and you can find mileage books at most office stores (example: Office Depot, OfficeMax, or Staples)

When its time to do your taxes, you'll want to add all the mileage you drove while picking up and delivering orders and submit those numbers to your tax service. These piled up miles will lower the amount you need to pay in taxes.

Keep in mind though, mileage from finishing an order, signing off, and heading home, doesn't count as traceable, "business" mileage.


Investigate getting a Credit Card with Rewards.
When I first started to do deliveries, the one issue I ran into was a budget to purchase gas. Without gas, I couldn't make much needed money. So I investigated credit cards.

Most CCs (credit cards) have different rewards. Either being a kickback from making purchase or collecting points / miles for plane tickets. I went with a percentage kickback CC from B of A and that gave me 3% back from gas station purchases.

The one thing that I found most valuable about the card at the time was that it provided 0 Interest for roughly a year from opening the account. That helped provide a flow of money for gas without being "punished" with interest until I could get a solid flow of income coming in and I strictly only used it for gas to keep its usage under control.


Seems so Perfect! But...
The Postmates App is simple to use and understand. It makes picking up deliveries and drop offs simple. The only problem is their support team.

In the past 6 Months since posting this, Postmates made a change to their Fleet app which made it almost impossible to get help from the Fleet Support Team. Its come to the almost conclusion that you're out there on your own and if something happens, you won't be able obtain assistance from Postmate Support Team efficiently.

That means if there is a major issue with the order, its between you and the customer. Menu items are not available, its between you and the customer to figure out. Customer wants to cancel the order, they have to do it on their end.

You used to be able to summon a support member to call you and get help, but that option, at the moment, is deader then the dinosaurs.


Conclusion
Postmates, in general, is a easy to use delivery platform. Many more options then just food are available for you to pickup and Postmates seems to be busier then most platforms in major cities, at least currently. The lack of support hurts new comers to the delivery service, but practice and learning will make you or anyone more confident on what to do when the challenges come to pass.

Some days its going to be rough, but majority of the time its smooth sailing. Its easy to mix in with normal work and life or if you have free time, which makes it valuable.

I've been doing delivery services for over a year now and I've been lucky enough to be able to pay my bills, housing, car maintenance, and other stuff doing this along other car app services. I'll continue to work Postmates and these services until I found an even better source of income.

(Last Updated 9/4/2018)

29 comments:

  1. I really liked your blog post. I thought it was pretty informative. This is my 4th day doing post mates. For the most I love it. I've gotten turned a round a hand full of times and had parking issues. Other then that I enjoy meeting new ppl and discovering new food places. A great source of side income. As I already have a full time job. Your blog post just reminded me that I do need to get a mileage book and a mount for my phone. I do have gps in my car but I prefer going through the app. I just ordered another hot/cold bag. Which is free btw. The only thing that doesn't fit in there is pizza boxes. For that I've been turning on my seat warmers. Well until I find a bag for those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated! Are you still doing Postmate deliveries? How has it been since doing it?

      Depending on the city or area your doing deliveries, parking could be simple to out right frustrating due to restrictions, having to pay just to park, or not finding any to begin with.

      Mileage is SO important to keep track. Its literally another way to save on your taxes when you file. Even if its only a few miles here and there, it still add up the more you go out to do deliveries.

      The hot bag being free is new to me. This might have changed since your comment. I will look into this more. I know the bags they give out aren't very special, but they still work.

      Delivering pizza is rough one at times. You'll never know if you're going to be getting a 12" or larger. I once had a huge pizza where I had to flip my back seats down in order to fit the whole thing in my car. It was a rare delivery.

      Let me know how your Postmating is going or if you're using any other plateform and how those are going for you.

      Delete
  2. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... Bike Messenger NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, nicely done and written. I also noticed since I started developing recently that people rehash old ideas but add nothing. But I had not made the leap that you made, or at least not a leap of "THAT Size"!! Fantastic idea. It is going on my list of things I need to do as a new developer to try to find out the Food delivery app development service. Thanks for sharing this content about Grocery delivery app development. If you also want to know taxi dispatch software, then simply connect with us. Ta-da!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great read, loved all your shared excellent articles. I just wanted to share with you my latest blog and I can relate to your online Business Ideas with a Medicine delivery app like CVS pharmacy. And I know the Power of on-demand delivery service. Let me know what you think For More clarification as per readers thinking if you want More information regarding apps like uber then what will you do? As I think you will search Build an App Like Uber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last-mile delivery We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NYC bike messenger Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On demand delivery service


    ShapShap - Nigeria’s best marketplace for same-day delivery. Download our app to Order food, groceries, medicines and much more in Nigeria. Track your order Live.


    ReplyDelete
  8. Grab the fantastic range of products and unravel the manliness within you. It has been spotted as the best Indian store, which considers every single requirement of a man to address himself more sophisticatedly. Grab beardo coupons offers today and enjoy the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your Blog, I only wish I could get Blogs on Medicine delivery app. I also want to publish blog on same niche..and explore More Ideas on Uber for Pharmacy Delivery app. I have some Ideas to explore my ideas to be challenged. its best way to learn and grow.
    But saying all that I think it is considerably easier to engage commenters nowdays than when I firts started blogging. From this thing we will get some ideas on Netflix clone app.lets start bloghging again and explore more Technical knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. مواد غذائية

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked your blog post. I thought it was pretty informative and loved all your shared excellent articles. I have come to realize that we can create a successful blog with lots of information.from your blog . Also I have some informative content that will help you and your business. Like bow days, the market is growing with  pickup and delivery service and it may be the best option to grow your business fastly.  And the advanced safety they provided was a major reason for their enormous popularity. So, it was very easy to Start Pickup And Delivery Business With Mobile App

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best! بطاطس مجمدة

    ReplyDelete
  13. المواد الغذائية You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. On demand delivery service


    ShapShap - Nigeria’s best marketplace for same-day delivery. Download our app to Order food, groceries, medicines and much more in Nigeria. Track your order Live.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read a lot of blog posts and I never heard of a topic like this. I love this topic you made about the bloggers bucket list. This is Very useful article. With the upcoming new technologies, a big Impact of Technology on Airbnb Clone App Development. Digitize your vacation rental business in no time with our completely customizable Airbnb clone script. Fully packed with cutting-edge features and endless possibilities, our ready-made solutions help create extra-ordinary business experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. مواد غذائية بالجملة

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude!  I've just been searching for info about this topic for a while and yours is the best I have come upon till now. This is Very useful article. With the upcoming new technologies for food delivery. An online food delivery business has no end, day by day its demand was so high. Most of the restaurateurs were getting tied with online food delivery services like DoorDash Clone, UberEats, and some more to get profitable outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tinder Clone is one of the solutions to start a business instantly. The igniters the best Tinder clone script along with multiple network options that spark the concept of connecting people of the same interest based on location. If you are looking for the best Tinder clone App, contact the best developer today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your site. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thank you! Become a Merchant Service Provider

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks 到會

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, my God! Fantastic article, guy! I've been looking for information on this subject as well and own is the best I've seen so far. This is an extremely helpful article. With the impending new food delivery technology. An internet meal delivery service has no end because the demand is so great day after day. To achieve financial results, most restaurateurs partnered with online meal delivery services such as DoorDash Clone, UberEats, and others.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looking for a fast, reliable same-day on-demand delivery service? shapshap provides fully flexible same-day courier services 24/7/365 with your parcel collected.

    Visit here : Courier service

    ReplyDelete
  23. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. Prepared Meals

    ReplyDelete
  24. Meal Prep Delivery This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs…

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks ricepass 優惠 碼

    ReplyDelete
  26. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... how to make the most money on doordash

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. best apps for doordash drivers

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really like your Blog. Apptunix is a Delivery Management Software that allows you to have everything you need delivered to you in minutes from nearby shops. It's unlike any other delivery service in terms of speed, convenience, and affordability. Thanks for sharing this blog with us.

    ReplyDelete